Monday, August 28, 2006

A Little Coding Project

For the past who knows how long mail has been going into a journal mailbox. One person at the client site has been going into the mailbox every few days and dragging everything out to a local .pst. That .pst would get thrown into a fileshare along with the other hundreds or more that were already there.

Those all need to be inside EV. Of course.

This requirement kickstarted me to tackle a project I've been toying with for a while, a wizard that helps you write EVPM scripts. Because there's no way in hell I plan on hand writing the scripted PST migration for who knows how many PST files.

So I present PolicyDoc. Now one thing to keep in mind is that PD never touches your EV environment. Hell, you don't even need to install it in the same domain as EV. Simply feed it some report files, point it at the folder of PST's and let it generate the .ini file. You can then take that file wherever you want to and run it. Of course, please sanity check the file before running, practice safe hex and all that. Right?

But I need a couple of folks who wouldn't mind putting the code through the wringer for me. If you are interested I'll provide a compiled .exe file along with the full source code so you can roll your own if you want to.

Eventually I plan on releasing PD as open source, I just want to ensure that it's as clean as possible before letting go of it. Shoot me an email and let me know if you're interested.

Oh, and here's what she looks like so far...

 

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home